Thursday, August 26, 2010

Growing beef tomatos

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

Yep, the chunky juicy kind:)

I planted the beef tomatoes early summer and have been waiting to harvest it. They did take a long time to turn color. This year I have been religiously pruning out all the suckers.
Pruning is good for the plants as it increases airflow within the plants which in turn reduces the risk of blight. I also have a relatively small area for gardening, pruning fits more plants in a small place.

Pretty yellow flowers.


 I grew these tomatoes from seeds. These are the steps I followed to grow these tomatoes.
  • Get some good quality seeds from the local store.
  • Fill a small container with damp seed starting mix. Plant your seeds about 1/8 inch deep.You can plant lots of seeds close together. 
  • Once the seedlings appear transplant them after all danger of frost has passed.



Juicy tomatoes.


Tips for growing juicy tomatoes.
  • Choose a site that gets full sun.
  • Add plenty of compost.
  • Place a paper collar around each plant to deter cutworms. I used some plastic cups and placed it around the plants.
  • Water them regularly they need one to two inches of water every week

Harvesting!!!

This sure is the most exciting part. Its like finding little treasures. Each day as I walk into my lil eden I find some flowers or fruits or vegetable smiling at me with all its freshness. Oh how amazing are the works of our creator!! Well here is the pic of my harvested tomatoes. I get about 3 or 4 tomatoes every other day!! Its just amazing :)

6 comments:

  1. Love your garden and the tomatoes look so good.I love gardening too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx aunty I spend a lot of time in my lil garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your tomatoes!If u have time plz read my blog at http://antganggarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/spring-delights.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for visiting my blog........ you have a lovely blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tomatoes...

    Thanks sheeba for dropping by my blog and for the sweet compliment ;-) ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love your comments...they always make me SMILE..:)Bless you!! ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...