Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. ~Lou Erickson
Did you know that an eggplant is a fruit that is used as a vegetable. Its the small seeds in it that make it a fruit :). Most of us are familiar with the beautiful rich purple color of the eggplant. Eggplants are also called brinjal in India.Whether its a fruit/vegi or is called a brinjal or eggplant I love growing this plant and cooking with it. The eggplant in my lil Eden is growing rather quickly. It's flowers smile at me with such a pretty shade of purple. There are soo many flowers and lots of little eggplants.
- Get some good Ichiban plant form the store
- Plant them 1 1/2 to 2 feet apart
- Water your plants one to two times per week
Tips for growing Ichiban eggplants.
- Choose a site where the plant will be exposed to a full day of sunlight,
- Do not use high nitrogen fertilizers, they will encourage foliage growth rather than fruit;
- Rinse the eggplants with a full stream of water early in the day to remove them of amphids. I also use soapy water to get rid of these pesky amphids. Use no more than 1-2 cups of soap per gallon of water.
Eggplants can be harvested any time after they have turned their deep purple color.The more frequently you pick the fruit, the more your plants will produce.I get about 2 to 4 pounds of fruit from each plant. Cooking it immedietly is the best way to go, but it can be kept in the fridge for about a week.