Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men or animals. Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression; some are pensive and diffident; others again are plain, honest and upright, like the broad-faced sunflower and the hollyhock. ~Henry Ward Beecher, Star Papers: A Discourse of Flowers
Sunflowers have it all!!!! They are healthy, nutritious and attractive.We adorn our yards and gardens with these beautiful flowers. They are high in protein. Sunflowers are popular as a cooking oil, too.
- Sow the seeds directly into the garden.Sunflower plants grow well in average to rich soils.
- After planting, cover them with a screen, as the birds and animals love it.
- When you are planting the seeds space them two to three feet apart from one another.
- Sunflowers always face to the rising sun in the East. Keep this in mind as you plan where to plant them.
- Apply extra phosphorus and potassium when the flower bud begins to develop, to promote bigger blooms.
- Sunflowers are an annual. They can withstand a mild frost. However, cover your seedlings if a hard spring freeze is anticipated.