Thursday, February 24, 2011

Daffodils William Wordsworth


"Daffodils" (1804)
I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud
 Tat floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,

Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
By William Wordsworth (1770-1850).




This is one of my most favourite poems...... it brings back amazing memories of my carefree school days..... Though we all wanted to be adults at that time, it sure was and always will be the most cherished times etched in all our lives. This was one of the beautiful poems that we had to by heart those days..... this is soooo special .... though I hadnt seen daffodils at that time I had envisioned the whole poem and I still have that Image in front of me - the daffodils dancing and swaying beside the lake beneath the trees. This poem intrigued me because, the poet painted a picture of this serene beauty which is etched in me forever without really painting it. What an amazing poet he is..... every time I see these beautiful daffodils I picture the beautiful picture painted with words by this great poet.




 This beautiful flower does deserve a beautiful poem. This beautiful flower has a central trumpet which is surrounded floral leaves which is united into a tube.The seeds are black, round and swollen with hard coat. The three outer segments and the three inner segments are petals. Though the poem talks only about the golden yellow daffodils, these flowers come in various colors. 



Heres how you grow this beautiful Plant:

  • Buy bulbs that are firm. They should smell and look fresh. Buy your bulbs in the fall, just before you are going to plant them.


  • Plant your daffodils about 4 weeks before the ground freezes. They do best in part sun to part shade, although they also tolerate full sun.


  • Dig a hole or trough three times deeper than the bulbs are wide. Gently place the bulbs in the hole pointy end up.


  • Bury the bulbs either with soil or with a combination of soil and compost. 


  • Watch for your daffodils to bloom the following spring. If you choose to fertilize your daffodils, do so after the flowers have finished blooming, to encourage the roots to grow and the bulbs to multiply. Allow the tops to die back naturally after the flowers fade; this too helps provide the plant with the energy it needs to grow and spread.




  • I cant get enough of this beautiful flower.......... Hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did....

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for stopping by! I love your comments...they always make me SMILE..:)Bless you!! ♥

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...